Friday, August 17, 2007

Crazy-expensive stuff... and a resolution

I attended a networking group panel discussion a few months ago, where I asked a high-end muckety-muck why these uber-luxury brands make keychains. His response, in a nutshell, was that you can tell how many keychains are being sold relative to the core product of the company by how much floor space is dedicated to it, and its position in the store. Some people just want "a piece" of luxury, even if they can't afford it, so they buy the keychain, sold right next to the entrance/exit.

The article which inspired today's post, entitled The Psychology of the $14,000 Handbag, is full of bits of business wisdom. It opened my eyes to a market I had really been having a hard time understanding. I do understand how a $3500 jacket makes the $800 jacket hanging near it seem less expensive, and therefore, desireable.

I know everyone has their top price for everything, and for some, money is no object. This must be true, since, a $1500 coffee-table book (no, that's not a typo) featuring Christian Dior's work will be available for purchase next month. Hope you don't spill your coffee! (Apparently, you get a steep discount if you preorder it at Barnes and Noble for $1200.)

It is a truly special edition. 500 of these first edition copes wil be wrapped in linen hand-embroidered by Lesage, so that's a boost in value right there... 400 pages with beautiful and rare photographs... $1500?

Really?

Seriously?

Whatever...

So, I just had an epiphany.

Work with me here... If you are reading this as a creative person who designs, paints, writes, anything... I assume you hope that the reward for the hard but pleasureable work you do, will be people appreciating and/or buying your creations and expertise. Having just read a great post by Lisa Call (quilt artist) on sacrificing for your art, stimulated a thought process that brings me to this idea... If you TRULY believe that art is meant to be appreciated and shared, isn't it important that we, of all people, should support one another in the quest to do this?

I never think to BUY the things so many of these artists who blog are selling... why did that only occur to me today? Perhaps you already do this, but I never thought much about it.

Resolution:

When I am really moved and feel a connection to something created by human hands that is of use to me, and priced appropriately for my willingness/ability to pay, I am going to buy it, compliment the creator, or express gratitude for their creation in some way.

2 comments:

  1. That article is great. It makes so much sense. I do that all the time but never really "saw" what I was doing. I see the $80 Ann Taylor Loft pants that I really want, then go back to the sale rack and buy two pair for $35 each, and a clearance tee-shirt for $20. So I've spent more anyway.

    I do the same thing with food. I want a banana split. But I already had my sundae for the week (yes, every friday.) So I have a cookie. Or a kiddie cone. Or a muffin. None of which really satisfy the banana split craving. But all of which add upteen calories to my week. sigh...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Artists live in a different world where luxury might be an expensive brand of paint or silk for those of us that work with textiles. A 14K handbag is still a mass produced item with a team of marketing execs supporting the designer who is really a corporate entity.

    Most artists just want to make a living doing what they love, and don't care about getting rich. I admire Koos Van Den Akker because he's quite content to sit at his sewing machine even though he has a mass produced line at QVC.

    Occasionally I'll go to craft shows and buy other artist's work, mostly pottery. Every time I use the bowl or mug, I feel their hands as I would hope that anyone who wears my clothing or snuggles under my quilts feels mine. This is how we connect with each other, besides the internet, of course!!

    Now, aren't you glad you know how to sew?

    ReplyDelete

Baltimore, MD - Association of Sewing and Design Professionals Conference

  Heading off to meet with colleagues, my fellow Board Members, and friends in Baltimore, MD for a few days of conference, meetings, and eve...