Saturday, December 29, 2007

Overtired, overloaded, overwhelmed.

This year brought an avalanche of gifts to our home. Friends, relatives, therapists, teachers, clients and everyone else remembered us this year. I was very happy to get the gifts, but felt really guilty that I just didn't have the time or the energy to reciprocate.


When I tried to enter FAO Schwarz on December 22, (Yes, I should have known better...) this is the line I would have had to join. I just couldn't bear it.

Since my family is so large, we agreed to draw names and exchange gifts with one adult family member, and give gifts to all of the children. I don't know who drew my name; I got gifts from almost all of the adults in my family... including the divorced members!

When I spoke to one of my sisters (I have three) on Christmas day, she gently reminded me, "That's what thank-you notes are for..."

She's right.

Rather than scramble to the nearest Barnes & Noble for a pile of gift cards, or rev up the sewing machine, I will simply write heartfelt thank-you notes to all of the people who showered us with gifts this year.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous8:05 AM

    I think gift cards is a fantastic idea, don't let your heart be troubled about it

    ReplyDelete

Baltimore, MD - Association of Sewing and Design Professionals Conference

  Heading off to meet with colleagues, my fellow Board Members, and friends in Baltimore, MD for a few days of conference, meetings, and eve...