Tuesday, January 01, 2008

On Why I DO sew for other people...

And a brief story of a gift that just keeps on giving...

Inspired by today's "Why I don't sew for other people..." posts by Erica B. and Cidell, I have to write a quick post to respectfully disagree...

Sewing for other people is an expression of love, gratitude for your own talent, appreciation for what makes your loved one unique, and a task that can make your heart sing. As a religious person, I feel that a creative pursuit like sewing can be such a wonderfully meditative process, if you just open up, allowing yourself to be a vessel, and letting that creative energy just move through you and out of your fingertips...

Whether for pleasure...














or profit, we cannot close the door on sewing for others because we FEAR they will not value the amount of effort that went into it.

For example, I love handmade items, but certainly not ALL handmade items. If I could trust this blog post would never be read by my friends and family members, I could give you a list, and some pretty hilarious pictures of things I wouldn't be CAUGHT DEAD in. My sister and I still laugh hysterically over one well-intentioned handmade Christmas gift from the 70's.

Well, I'll tell you about this one...

Okay, it was a belt.

But the material chosen was just the oddest choice one could make. The originator of that gift probably won't remember now, as it has been a good 25 years since then. And, if you do remember, we love you to death, I promise!!!! (Pretty sure she knows that already) It was bright green, with a crazy heavy buckle. And...it was made of FELT... And... my sister was a TEENAGER! It was faaaaaar too wide for any belt loops I've ever encountered... must've been 3-4"?

(Groaning, eyes watering, shoulders shaking...)

ROFL can be used literally here....

And... I think she might have even had help to create it, like in a CLASS or something!

Okay, let me catch my breath...

And it wasn't a joke!

You probably had to be there to really get the full impact, but whew!

So, you see my point. Not that these are the kinds of things you would make for friends... but.

Maybe I know a person who is a very talented knitter, but honestly, there is no one on this earth who can convince me to don any pair of mittens, EVER. And, also, no offense, folks, I'm not so sure I have ever worn an apron even once in my life. I do know how to show appreciation, though, and would never make rude comments. Really, why should everyone else suffer because one person didn't show proper appreciation for your handmade gift(s)?

So, that's my 2 cents. Just had to share. Hopefully this post either changed your mind, or gave you a good giggle!

Oh... and we still have the belt. It gets a good laugh at least once a year... still.

2 comments:

  1. You are absolutely correct. When someone loves it, you feel like a million dollars. It is a matter of making the right thing for the right person.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm in agreement as well. It important to sew for the right thing for the right person. I'm very selective about who I sew for. The gratitude that is expressed by those select few makes it all worthwhile.

    ReplyDelete

Baltimore, MD - Association of Sewing and Design Professionals Conference

  Heading off to meet with colleagues, my fellow Board Members, and friends in Baltimore, MD for a few days of conference, meetings, and eve...