Friday, January 18, 2008

Hello and Goodbye...

Energy can be changed from one form to another, but it cannot be created or destroyed. The total amount of energy and matter in the Universe remains constant, merely changing from one form to another.

-The First Law of Thermodynamics




In the week since her death, I have finally gotten to know my grandmother. Family stories, documents, information, and legal complexities have been swirling all around me, and now I see, with absolute certainty, why this has happened right now, and why these responsibilities have landed on my plate. I am not one of those people who talks about spirits floating around us, but this morning, I got a divine "wink", in no uncertain terms.

Far too complicated to explain here, but I needed one obscure piece of information, and I went to the library, with no idea where to begin searching for it... a very dedicated library staffer, was able to retrieve exactly one piece of information on the topic I sought, and it just happened to be EXACTLY the information I needed. It might not seem so strange to you, but if you only knew how obscure this information is, you'd be floored.

The family stories I've learned in the past few days would make a fantastic novel or movie, but since they involve people who are still living, I can't go into details here. Suffice it to say, many questions were answered, and now so much more is understood. I am truly at peace with this whole process, and it has given me important information for my own life.

Here's what I learned:

Make sure you have a Will. Make sure you indicate what should be done if the beneficiaries die before you do.

Love your family completely for exactly who they are, and not who you wish/hope/manipulate them to be.

If you absolutely cannot agree with someone, keep your distance, while maintaining respect for them.

Don't worry about what you were meant to be; decide who you are gonna be, and be it! (That one is from my Dad)

Listen to your heart at all times.

Like the first law of thermodynamics insists, her passing has set another set of cosmic wheels in motion, pushing her family to forge new relationships with one another, think beyond ourselves, make positive changes... ah, the circle of life.

Now, I must sew. My heart says so...


Subscribe in a reader Add to Technorati Favorites Add to del.ici.ous

4 comments:

  1. Dear Mimi,
    Although I do not know what happened, I get the impression that you are feeling peaceful about it.

    Love what you're saying. So true...

    Happy sewing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mimi...this is very touching. I am curious about your library visit. Have you read about elementals?

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, Amy I haven't... what do you mean?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Isabelle. I am feeling VERY peaceful about it. It was one of those weird moments that can't be explained! And the occurance wasn't anything particularly private... just a long complicated story, and a search for obscure and old information, that would put you to sleep before its very stunning conclusion!

    ReplyDelete

Baltimore, MD - Association of Sewing and Design Professionals Conference

  Heading off to meet with colleagues, my fellow Board Members, and friends in Baltimore, MD for a few days of conference, meetings, and eve...