Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Another glove story...

This may be basic info for some, but since I knew none of it, I share my findings with you now...

I can now say "I get it" as far as what the pattern wants me to do, but I'm not sure the result will be too pretty, without a bit of a glove education first. If you know of a good book, (better than my usual trial and error) please let know!



The glove size is determined by the measurement of the circumference of the hand (without the thumb)at the knuckles. So, mine measures 7 1/2", thus I am a 7 1/2 glove. The pattern I have just happens to be my size...






This pattern comes in the package pre-cut, and there are no cutting lines or written instructions for anything on the tissue, so it looks really spare...














All the guidance you can hope to find is on the instruction sheet (click pictures to enlarge). They are written in the same casual way you might jot down a recipe for a friend; it assumes you know the rest...



2 comments:

  1. Yes. Very typical for an "unprinted pattern" of it's age. All the punched circles, triangles and squares mean something; usually there's a key printed on the deltor (instruction sheet) somewhere or there are a lot of "notes" surrounding the part of the deltor that shows the pattern pieces.

    The pattern that I'm working with for Midnight Garden is the same way. I'm very interested in how these gloves turn out - I find these sort of old patterns fascinating. (Yeah, I'm nuts, no surprise there.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. After much searching, I never did find that simple glove pattern but I did find an old Simplicity and I have emailed you instructions.

    I made mine from lycra swimsuit fabric in a deep blue that matched my dress. The only ones I could find RTW were black or white and quite pricey.

    ReplyDelete

Baltimore, MD - Association of Sewing and Design Professionals Conference

  Heading off to meet with colleagues, my fellow Board Members, and friends in Baltimore, MD for a few days of conference, meetings, and eve...