Sunday, December 16, 2007

Reasons to knit


This DNA helix scarf caught my eye... I love the idea of using this symbol of our specific and unique genetic fingerprint to adorn an article knitted specifically and only with one wearer in mind. Love it... Click here for a Wikipedia link, if you are feeling "sciencey"...

Note: I did not make the scarf pictured above - this post is about WANTING to make it...

I'm not a knitter, but I do know how to cast on and do very basic things... the straight-forward knit, purl, cast on....

I happened upon that wonderful scarf pattern (example pictured above), and it has inspired me to learn to follow a knitting pattern, and I also want to make use of my beautiful knitting book, that teaches from the ground up... it really should be used, not just read...


Yes, you read it correctly -- 1892! Think this info might be tooo old for present-day patterns? Or have the abbreviations always been the same? If you know, tell me, okay?
Great, neat, common-sense illustrations and explanations - very easy to understand.

Once upon a time, I worked for Vogue Patterns, where the Vogue Knitting magazine was also published; I even attended their Wednesday lunchtime knitting lessons they gave for the staff... and never made a thing...

I outta be ashamed.

I did fall in love with a sweater pattern in one of the issues, though, and paid someone in the knitting dept to knit the pieces for for me, and then crocheted them together myself. I still wear it now. It's been about 11 years, I think.



(It is only on a hanger for the photo.)

So... Even my husband thinks that scarf is cool... I think that's a sign... It appeals to the science-lovers in us. Now, it is about #10 on my creative to-do list.

So, I've got a reason to knit now. Well, maybe not RIGHT now. (smile)

Subscribe in a reader Add to Technorati Favorites Add to del.ici.ous

5 comments:

  1. As a science teacher and someone who can knit, that's a great scarf! I could see that going on my to do list, somewhere down around #134, sadly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous2:47 PM

    What a treasure that book is! You should scan it and send it to http://www.antiquepatternlibrary.org/ so it won't be lost to the world. If you go to their website, they have instructions on what to do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have heard of that... but I'm pretty sure that people can buy the contents of this book already... just not the original book. There is a dealer of scanned antique books on Ebay, who offers this one.

    I'm a junkie, so I do have about 13antique sewing books now, and about 4 of them are books rare enough that if I didn't own them, I couldn't find any other evidence that they exist!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The scarf looks awesome! I love vintage books and it looks that you have a real treasure there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. loved the book- and the fact you used a pattern- true treasure! The DNA scarf is really neat too...too bad we don't knit! Would consider learning after this inspiration!

    blessings,
    kari & kijsa

    ReplyDelete

Baltimore, MD - Association of Sewing and Design Professionals Conference

  Heading off to meet with colleagues, my fellow Board Members, and friends in Baltimore, MD for a few days of conference, meetings, and eve...