Wednesday, July 13, 2011

The learning curve

Some of my design-room tools...


To make a garment fit correctly, the designer has to respect all of the angles, hollows, and protrusions of the human form. There are no straight lines on the body. You can certainly wear a shapelss garment, but only the personality the fabric and trims lend to it can make up for the areas where you have extra (or not enough) room.

No matter how hard I try, I cannot shorten the learning curve. I wish I could have. Years of sewing, designing, redesigning, making mistakes and redoing lots of projects have made me a better designer. After 20 years, I am finally reaching a point where my hands can create what my mind sees...

I follow a kaizen-like philosophy. What is kaizen? Well, there's a fabulous book I read recently on the topic, and it basically is a philosophy of taking small steps to achieve results. And an excellent article I read by a fashion industry researcher/philosopher (for lack of a better term) in her popular blog...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Baltimore, MD - Association of Sewing and Design Professionals Conference

  Heading off to meet with colleagues, my fellow Board Members, and friends in Baltimore, MD for a few days of conference, meetings, and eve...